AO-40 Update, S1 Tx Stopped

On orbit 362 at MA 57 (2001-08-13,  12:57:53 UTC), while AO-40 was in view
of most of the eastern hemisphere,  the S1 transmitter abruptly stopped
transmitting part way through an A-blk.  Telemetry readings up until the
moment of cessation (voltages, currents, temperatures, etc.) were
completely normal.  No commanding or experimentation was being done at this
time.

The scheduler switched the S2 on as appropriate at MA=100.  Telemetry after
MA=100, likewise shows no abnormalities or logged events to account for
this failure.

An initial attempt to manually switch the S1 Tx back on did not appear
successful.    While we study this situation further, the  S1 Tx has been
taken out of the schedule.  Thus, the U/L1 -> S2 passbands are currently
active from MA 10-30 and MA 44-100.  As before, RUDAK is connected  to the
S2 Tx (beacon off) from MA=30-44.

The message blocks have not yet been updated.  This will be done within the
next several orbits.  The schedule may also be modified for longer passband
periods, given the broader coverage of the S2 helical antenna.

As further information becomes available, we will post it here

--- W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team