Re: ao-40 antennas

Kevin,

If you're going to buy a dish in the first place, then don't settle for such
low gain. I'm using linear polarization with the HyperLink Tech 39" , 24 dBi
...am VERY pleased with it. Built like a tank. There have been several posts
on this topic...look at past messages.

You need two things for optimal performance:

1. An antenna with as much gain as possible...and 24 dB is readily
attainable for < 150 bucks. Some have told me for right around 100.

2. A low noise figure front-end. < 1.0 dB noise figure. If a converter, it
should have NF < 1 dB and 30 dB gain. If a preamp ahead of a converter, NF <
1 dB and 20 dB gain. This "sets" the system noise figure.

When S1 is on, you can get by with less...but not hearing well makes
alligators (all mouth, no ears).

Put as much as you can manage into your rx setup and you will never regret
it. Starting with an antenna that only has 16 dB gain is NOT a good idea.
There are lots of antennas out there of the BBQ variety (like I and many
others are using), that have plenty of gain and linear polarization isn't a
problem at all.

Good hunting. 73

hasan schiers, NØAN
schiers@netins.net