Re: Opps! D/C water ingress

At 17:36 05/08/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>I was wondering why I couldn't hear the beacon for the last couple of days.
>It now appears that water has entered into my CalAmp downconverter and is
>causing the problem. I have dabbed it out as much as I could but it does not
>appear to be enough to restore its original outstanding performance. There
>also appears to be some sort of residue left from this attack..
>
>I have heard of folks putting electronic equipment into the dishwasher and
>letting it go a cycle. After removing it and drying it out operation was
>back to normal. Anyone have any suggestions regarding this approach to
>restoring this unit? Other ideas welcomed!
>
>Mark, standby for another order (maybe...  ).
>
>John Wilcox  NS1Z
>871 Route 120
>Rumford, ME  04276-3836
>
>207-364-2246
>
>----

A long time ago, in a galaxie far away... but you know the story!

When working for AWA about 20 years ago, the first step in rebuilding
Australian Navy gear was either a trip to the ultrasonic bath (water only)
or if the gear was too big a jet of "aereated " water. sort of like water
and compressed air.. Drying was done first with airblast then in a
ciculating cabinet... the old style clothes drier!

Or try a lab squeeze bottle wit 50/50 water/ isopopyl alchahol and a
brush... it cleans up pc board just fine.

FWIW.
Norm, VK2XCI
Voice of The Edge of The Outback
njmcmillan@bigpond.com