Re: Goldstone

Ed Cole wrote:
You probably asked where Goldstone came from ...rhetorically, but in
case
others are not aware, the NASA DSN Tracking Facility in the Mojave
Desert
north of Barstow, CA is called Goldstone.  It consists of several
stations
separated by hills and several miles apart.  The name comes from
Goldstone
Dry Lake situated near the complex.  I don't know the story of how the
lake
was named, but I suspect it had to do with gold prospecting in the area
in
earlier times.

My understanding is that the complex is actually named after a nearby
"ghost town" named Goldstone.  Back in the 1800's it was one of the few
mines in the area that produced gold rather than the much more common
silver (like the mines in the Calico Mountains).  My guess is that (like
Calico) the lake was named later.

I had the great good fortune of growing up in Barstow and being a member
of the Barstow Amateur Radio Club when the majority of the members were
employed at Goldstone, most at DSTN sites but a few at STADAN (Satellite
Tracking and Data Network).  Several of our members were record holders
in terrestrial microwave distances.  Being around them was a real
education.

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@amsat.org