Re: misinformed posters on qrz.com

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX

>From: "Drew Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>, <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] misinformed posters on qrz.com
>Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:19:09 -0400
>
>Bob, just for you I will point out the obvious errors in the first negative
>comments.
>
> >Oh ye gods!
>
> >Not only do they launch right in the middle of
> >a solar maximum (really dumb) but the fancy new
> >propulsion system clobbers 1/2 the bird.
>
>The comment about the solar maximum shows ignorance on how we get our ride
>to orbit.
>The propulsion system that failed isn't new, but the new and fancy one
>saved
>the day.

Sorry that one didnt work real well either.  As best I can tell it never
fired "hot" and while it was firing "cold" they totally lost control of it.

The propulsion record on this bird is such that frankly its lucky that its
still in orbit much less one piece.  Nothing about the propulsion system
(any of them) has worked like they said it would.

> >This one still isn't working right and they want
> >us to flush more money down the commode ?
>
>What works, works fine. Accidents happen. I think the fact that the uhf and
>vhf downlinks are dead is a good thing. The vhf subband is overloaded,
>subject to hi power interference from illegal users and other satellites
>(i.e. fm uplinks in the FO passbands). The failure has forced a move to 2.4
>ghz that will serve to protect our spectrum and advance the art. Users can
>get on from formerly restrictive places.

Well ok you can make a silk purse out of a sowes ear if you want and I agree
what works is good BUT things are relative.  This bird consumed enormous
(for amateur budgets) dollars made a lot of promises and if you paste the
promises up next to the results what we have is a sort of semi supped up
AO-10 class vehicle.

The stuff about protecting our spectrum is well I dont think worth much.  If
someone wanted our frequencies they would take them (they did in Austrailia)
no matter the relative numbers of amateur users.

> >If they manage to get the money to do another
> >one, I hope they test this one properly !
>
>This shows an ignorance of the budget that Amsat builds and flys under.
>
> >I think we need to learn more lessons from AO-40
> >before we waste another dime !
> >Barnum once said "A sucker is born every minute!"
>
>THESE LESSONS ARE BEING APPLIED ALREADY!!! Did this guy read the article?
>JJ
>will have a simple transponder, a simple or no propulsion, and will have
>open source to help prevent another mishap! Reading comprehension is
>fundamental!

Well I hate to drop this on you but those are not the lessons that should be
learned from AO-40's problems.  AO-40 is more then a failure of specific
technology...it is a failure quite frankly to put in place an organization
that is capable of conducting the project that was planned.

The failure for instance that caused the main propulsion system to "not work
right" was not a failure so much of the person to take something in or out
BUT IT WAS A FAILURE OF THE PROJECT to correctly identify the correct
procedure for using that specific device AND THEN follow it.

In simple terms it wasnt so much a failure to follow the instructions it was
it seems to me more so a failure to FIND OUT WHAT the specific instructions
were.

>On a related note, did you read about the guy who wanted a geosync bird
>with
>FM, so he could work it on the 726 he bought for AO-40 but now thinks he
>cannot use? Thankfully K3XS has graciously educated him on the facts, as
>well as others.

There are lots of folks out there who dont know what they dont know.  I dont
happen to share it but there are a LOT of people who like the FM sats and
havent given much thinking to how one would operate as "the big repeater in
the sky".

We just recently in the community association where I live managed to change
the rules regarding amateur radio antennas.  Those of us who had had them
for along time would have been able to have kept ours but under some new
laws no new ones could have come.  Well we (a bunch of hams here in CLear
Lake Houston TX) have spent a lot of time changing that and now ham radio
has a safe home in our Community association.

During that effort I found a lot of people just simply didnt know what the
hobby was and as a result accepted a lot of "myths" that some perpetuated.
Now those people, the ones who were pushing things as gospel that they
either knew were untrue or had intentionally made up I have great disdain
for.  The others I found it a pleasure to educate.

I think thats about the same here.

Robert