Re: CW HT for satellites

On Friday 27 July 2001 11:02, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote in "[amsat-bb]
CW HT for satellites":

> I wonder how many years it will be before YaeComWood introduce a
> handheld multi-mode all-band transceiver (handheld equivalent of the
> FT-817).  It seems inevitable, given the rapid rate of
> miniaturization that is ongoing in the amateur equipment industry.

It *is* handheld, for sufficiently large values of hand size. ;-) With
the Powerport bag, it's probably actually better in many ways than a
classic HT. I have a VX-5 (which is very cool) and an FT-847 (likewise
cool) The 817 falls somewhere between, and were I more pecunious, I'd
have one of them too.

Anybody who's ever had a databank watch realizes one reaches a point
where the surface area upon which to mount controls and displays needs
to be somewhat propotional to the functionality of the radio...not that
Yaesu is a paragon of human interface design, mind you.

Perhaps an HT with a built-in PalmPilot would be nice.

Or the ultimate would be a wearable radio, with a heads-up laser
display for tuning, control and digital coms. Mount boom mike and
earbuds on the same headframe. Touchpoint joybutton for pointing
device. The wearable computer people prolly have a lot to teach us.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

 73 de Maggie K3XS

 "If it had a reason, it wouldn't be a hobby." -Dogbert