Re: Pin point the UO-14 jammer.

We once had a bootlegger on the digital satellites who was sending porn
photos and using the callsigns of other stations as the sending station.
Using the overlapping acquisition circles from several of his uploads we
quickly located him in the northeastern corner of one of the European
countries.  Evidently the other stations in that country then quickly knew
who it was and it was stopped.

This was easy to do with the digital satellites since the station began to
automatically upload as soon as he received the satellite OPEN indication.
All we had to do was find the dates & times of the upload from the message
headers and run a tracking pass at that time for several of his uploads.
Superimposing the acquisition circles on each of these uploads and looking
at the overlapping area pretty well told where it was coming from.

The same can be done with voice operation, but the listening station should
make a note of the exact time intervals of hearing the station on several
different orbits.  Later a combination of the acquisition circles from
different orbits can be superimposed.  The more, the better.  In fact
several acquisition circles from one orbit can be superimposed with several
from additional orbits, giving what should be a very good location.  It
even gets better if the passes are a combination of north to south and
south to north passes since the overlapping areas are generally smaller.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org