Re: Re: DEM Pre-Amp

That seems awfully odd, since Vdd for the GaAsFET comes from a 7805 voltage
regulator--allegedly 5V solid output for inputs 7.5-16V (right off the IC
spec sheet, hence the LNA spec).
The 5V is dropped thru a handful of resistors to 2V actually on the device
drain.  So that's why there's no NF vs. supply voltage; the supply voltage
is constant.

Since the problem is happening right when the 7805 is turning on (7.5V),
maybe the 7805 is going into oscillation; that could happen if the
capacitors across the 7805 input and output were defective/missing/poor

If the 7805 actually were oscillating I wouldn't have a good feeling about
the GaAsFET, whose Vdd,max is 5V.

It's unlikely the pot for the gate voltage was unadjusted; it would have to
be set for the specified drain current.

Anyway, some ideas...

At 10:06 PM 7/27/01 -0500, ken durham wrote:
>My .7db NF preamp arrived several days ago and just got put in the
>system with the converted Drake (spec 3 db NF.) It seems to have a
>problem or is causing a problem. It increases the S meter reading
>from S1.5 to about S3, but the s/n ratio seems worse. It seems to
>work only at about 7.5 V for a decent gain and NF.  S meter increases
>to  >S4 at this supply voltage and the NF improvement is obvious
>listening to the AO-40 beacon. My 12V supply isn't useable
>for this preamp. The spec sheet says that the supply range is
>7 to 16 V. The spec doesn't have a curve for NF or gain vs supply
>Does anyone know if this is typical of this preamp (model 13ULNA)?
>I sure hate to send it back since it took so long for them to ship
>and it's up on my tower now.  I'm tempted to just use a 7.5V supply
>and keep the preamp. The schematic shows a variable resistor from the
>IC that generates the internal negative voltage to ground and the wiper
>to the gate of the FET.  It may be that this pot just didn't get
>at the factory to a proper voltage for the gate. I don't want to take
>a chance on blowing the FET by trying to adjust  this for optimum
>gain and s/n ratio. Any suggestions?
>Ken   K5MBV
Scott Townley
Gilbert, AZ  DM43
HF/VHF/UHF/Satellite MOBILE station

"When the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro"
Raoul Duke, Sportswriter

"Don't worry Boys, we'll weather this Storm of Approval and come out as
Hated as Ever"