Re: Saudisats????

It's not an accusation.  Here is the scope of where my statement came from:

1.) The military launches a satellite called PanSat that is ultimately supposed to become available to radio amateurs.

2.) There is question of what the use of the satellite is for that is raised on the BB.  Some (not I) say that perhaps the idea of turning it over to hams was just a way to get backing for the project and that the original intention was to never have a ham sat.

3.) I make the statement that I hope the military isn't doing this and that they aren't using ham frequencies for military purposes.

There is no accusation there at all.  I hope the military doesn't ever use our frequencies.  Sure, in major war time, they could end up commandeering all of them, but in general, such a plan as proposed in "2" above would be very bad.

But, after my original question, others (unlike yourself) wrote to me that even if the satellite was never turned over to hams, it would not be a violation of any laws or frequency allocations.  The reason is that the military does have an allocation in the 70 cm band and hams have a secondary allocation.  I wrote back to one person, saying that's fine for say the downlink but what about the uplink.  They wrote back saying that they thought the satellite worked on a half-duplex principle so up/downlinks would be in the 70cm band and therefore, regardless of the use, everything is kosher.

Substantial discussion and comments like these are much more useful than ones such as yours which instead of addressing the original question, appear sarcastic and a slap in the face to the original poster.  Of course hams who are in the military use ham frequencies.  No kidding.  So do people who operate broadcast transmitter who are hams.  So do people who use a 450 MHz SMR mobile radio who are hams.  But it's not legal, no matter who the hell you are, to use a ham frequency for a purpose other than ham radio or those spelled out in the FCC regs.

Your comment did nothing to answer the question that I raised and neither have any since.

Jon
NA9D