Re: Saudisats????

Bob,

I hope your reply was tongue in cheek.  Members of the military using ham
frequencies is certainly legal.  The military using ham frequencies for
military purposes (where they don't have an allocation), is not.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 7/26/01 11:30 AM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

>> Since when is the military use of ham frequencies within the rules of the
>> amateur radio service?
>
> Yep, the military uses HAM frequencies all the time!
>
> Lets say there are 1 million servicemen, lets say there are another half
> that in military civilians or 1.5M.  Since 0.5% of the American population
> have ham licenses, that makes 7500 people in the military using HAM
> frequencies right now on active duty.
>
> Now then multiply that by 20 for all the retired guys and reserves and you
> may be talking about 150,000 people that are military and are using HAM
> frequencies...
>
> Yep, the military uses ham frequencies all the time...

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na