Re: The Paint color and qualities of Alum

> Question: On space craft (Often painted white) you see the use of a
> mylar
> like film to cover certain portions of the craft. It is gold in color,
> not
> white. Would some of you space experts give us a line on this material
> and
> why?

I didn't mention this in the previous post, but should have -- Kapton
film is naturally deep yellow in color, and if aluminized on the back
surface, will appear gold.  It can withstand temperatures up to a few
thousand degrees without damage, which was why it was used on the LM
descent stage to shield the internal components from solar heating and
LMRCS exhaust ..

"Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
1906-1992
"The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach