Re: PANsat

On Thursday 26 July 2001 14:37, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> No one ever did.  The original interested HAM students graduated, a
> year later PANsat was launched and none of the original "interested"
> students were around to play with it.  No hams ever took any interest to
> build a spread spectrum transceiver and so there it sits... on orbit, but
> no one interested in scratch building a spread spectrum transceiver to
> match...

  Bob, thank you for sharing your opinion, it has been very useful to
understand the issue.

> [...]
> I really dont blame anyone.  PANSAT hit orbit about the same time the
> Internet exploded and packet experimentation died.  Since the internet
> lets anyone communicate at 56 kB or higher at any time all the time, who
> wants to scratch build a one-of-a-kind 9600 baud experimental transceiver
> to communicate for 5 minutes a few times a day to yourself, or one other
> person if you can talk him into building a transceiver too.

  Yes, internet may be faster, but I am sure that many people here (including
me!) still think that talking to a spacecraft is much more fun than talking
in IRC :-)

> Its there, I think it is functional, but with only one spread spectrum
> built ground station, no one is using it.  The lessons are:
>
> 1) Its perfectly fine to build a satellite for an amateur COMM experiment
> 2) But don't expect it to be popular unless a lot of people can use it
> 3) If it ain't popular, then the builders will also quickly loose interest
> 4) At a university, the students graduate.  Unless there is a Faculty
>    member 100% dedicated to the mission, it will die as soon as the
>    original students are gone.
> 5) If it is not causing interference, then stop complaining about it.

 I meant no disrespect or flame to the PANSAT people at US NAVY with my last
post. On the contrary, I am glad and excited that people built it and it is
still in orbit waiting to be worked. I apologise to anyone that felt my
post meant otherwise.

  As for myself I would like very much to build something to work this bird,
and would be delighted if there are some people in this list that could help
me and sugest ideias for a suitable transceiver project. Although often my
academic life doesn't permit me to spare significant time for ham activity
(usually I stay several months away from my station on CT3 island), I'm
willing to try to learn something with a project like this.
  Are there any people that would like to try it, or discuss it?

> 6) If you dont like the payloads someone else is building, then build
>    one yourself, or join up with a university or other team that is
>    and help them with the right way to do it.  They want to build
>    satellites, in many cases they may be looking for payloads.  In
>    any case, only HAMS understand the best "uses" for an amateur
>    communications experiment that will draw users....

  We have a radioclub at our University. Unfortunately, due to lack of space
on campus, and also some misbelief from directors we are in a difficult
financial and logistical situation. If it wasn't like that, building a ground
station for PANSAT for example would be a good project! So I urge any
interested and capable clubs and/or amateur organization to build a station
and give use to this sat. Someone should email the Navy people and know if
they are willing to open the sat for a more general use Worldwide.

  I think there are more people insterested in SS operation than it seems,
maybe the problem was some lack of information, so I hope that the info stays
on the PANSAT website for long, and that the broken links someone reported
would be brought back alive, so we can learn about it.

  Again thanks for your opinion, and feel free to comment about my sugestions.

Regards

    Claudio
    CT3KD