RE: Saudisats????

Jon,
It seems like you have a misconception of what it means to commission a
satellite.
When a bird goes up there, there are so many unknowns and many many things
that can go wrong.
If the team is lucky, the commissioning phase goes without any problems, and
they can indicate to the public that that is so.
Now, if a problem arises, the entire story changes. Unlike a car, where
changing the oil pump does it, in space there are many many factors which
can contribute to a failure. In many cases, when device X does not work, its
not because device X failed, but a temperature change in device Z caused
device Y to quit sending the gizmo command to device X and as a result,
device X does not work. This kind of complex relationship which can easily
occur would make satellite operators irresponsible if they come out and say
"device X failed". Due to this, we see satellite operators take their time
while they try to make a good job of finding out exactly what happened. A
good example of this would be the Mysterious Force acting on P3D. During the
Minotaur launch of Jan 2000, so many things went wrong, that the satellite
operators were trying to figure out what went wrong. Without looking at
cross satellite correlation, just we (the ASUSat1 team) had over 15
different failure paths which could have contributed to the failer. As a
result, for several weeks, we did everything in our power to try and verify
the correct failer mode. It would have been irresponsible of us to come out
and say after just one day "we know what went wrong". So give satellite
operators some slack when it comes to post launch operations. Trust me that
we and I think every operator out their does everything in their power to
make a bird work right. "holding back" information is not an ego thing, its
just a responsibility issue.
Assi