The Paint color and qualities of Alum

Along the thread. I have enjoyed the wealth of information about colors and
the qualities of aluminum. As a matter of fact I stumped some of my
engineers at the TV station.
Question: On space craft (Often painted white) you see the use of a mylar
like film to cover certain portions of the craft. It is gold in color, not
white. Would some of you space experts give us a line on this material and
why?
Thank You
73
Gunther Meisse