Re: Saudisats????

on 7/24/01 11:15 PM, Drew Glasbrenner at glasbrenner@mindspring.com wrote:

> The recent rash of really great grid expeditions utilizing the FM satellites
> has again caused me to wonder.....What is the story with the Saudisats? Are
> they just 2 more in a list of hamsats that are space junk, or is there
> something else going on? Someone, somewhere, has to know something!

It is amazing how when an amateur satellite fails, people hardly even
mention it.  Back when the whole Jawsat thing happened a year and a half
ago, nearly every bird on that launch failed.  It took a long time to hear
people say that they were failures.

I guess it's an ego thing.  People don't want to admit that their publicly
hyped, high profile device went kaput.  So they don't say anything in the
hopes that people will just forget.

If the birds are just closed and only for the Saudis then they should tell
us and I think most of us would be OK with that.

We can also add Techsat (I think that's the name - the Israeli student sat)
to the list of uknown birds.  We don't know what happened to it either.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden