Re: JUly 2001 President's Letter

Nick raises an interesting point.

Where I live (the People's Republic of Massachusetts,)
putting up any serious antenna (AO-10 class) is a major headache.
Heck, it took me 3 years to get the environmental permits
to put up silly little deck over my driveway!

For me, anything that reduces the size of antennas is a
huge help. On the other hand CPU power is cheap and even
specialized hardware is not a problem.

While not everywhere in the US is quite as restrictive,
many hams here in the US DO have to live with these
problems.

As Nick suggested, the same may be NOT be true in other countries
where hardware is restricted by tarrifs, import restrictions etc.
On the other hand TDMA is not exactly an exotic technology and
and if most of the processing can be done in software, it sure sounds
like a winner to me for (almost) everyone.

Tony AA2TX
---