Re: Black & White Question

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Howie DeFelice wrote:

> I remember a company that made DC generators built from themocouples mounted
> to heat sinks. They blasted a propane torch on one side to generate power.
> The idea was that there are no moving parts making the system very reliable.
> I wonder what the efficiency/generating capacity is if solar cells VS
> themocouples. With these kind of temperature gradients thermocouple power
> generation could be a pracitcal alternative to solar cells and they probably
> would not dgrade as much over time.

Yep, a thermal-sat is one of the projects I am trying to sign up some
students to look at...  Ill eventually get a WEB page up to show how it
would work..

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html