Re: Black & White Question

> In space, (no convection cooling) Here is the steady state equilibrim
> temperature of a flat plate in the very hot sun.
>
>    WHITE     50 deg F
>    BLACK     90 deg F
>    ALUMINUM 788 deg F  (no typo)

I remember a company that made DC generators built from themocouples mounted
to heat sinks. They blasted a propane torch on one side to generate power.
The idea was that there are no moving parts making the system very reliable.
I wonder what the efficiency/generating capacity is if solar cells VS
themocouples. With these kind of temperature gradients thermocouple power
generation could be a pracitcal alternative to solar cells and they probably
would not dgrade as much over time.