Getting more gain without a dish

It will not work. You need phase coherence between the two down-converters.
If you could phase -lock them.....then it might work, and even then, I
seriously doubt it. what's wrong with a dish? try it , you'll love it.

Jose
KF4VND

Al wrote:
After my first night on ao-40, I can see that

despite not being the "poorest kid on the block"

recieve-wise, I could definately do with some

more antenna gain.

My current setup is a 24dbi(linear) gain bbq

dish with a DEM preamp and drake converter with

the easy mods.

Using the Ao-40 spreadsheet, I see that the

only thing I can really benifit from improving

is the antenna itself. (And possibly a few db

more preamp gain, but not much.)

Going to a solid dish with a helix feed isn't

an option, due to wind/snow resistance and weight

considerations.

What I'm thinking of doing is to simply add

a second BBQ dish, cross polarized with respect

to the first one), with its own preamp/converter

(another dem/drake), then connecting the (144mhz)

outputs of both drakes to the feedline via a 2-meter

"circular" phasing harness. (I.e. the same

harness used to get circular polarization out of

2 yagi's.) The idea is to be able to generate

a circularly polarized antenna (with more capture

area), without having to manufacture a precision

phasing harness for 13cm.

Does anybody have any comments on how well this

is likely to work?