Re: JUly 2001 President's Letter

>From: Arthur H Feller <afeller@ieee.org>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>,amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] JUly 2001 President's Letter
>Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:23:09 -0400
>
>At 08:52 PM 22-07-01 -0500, Robert Oler wrote:
>>I am curious...what seperates an "open project" from say AO-40?  What
>>characteristics would an open project have that a AO-40 didnt?
>
>My understanding is that publication of design and other project details is
>intended to be routine for the JJ-sat project, essentially using the AMSAT
>web site to post working documents.  This has not been done for any
>previous project.
>
>73, art.....

Hello Art.

Thats interesting of course and doubtless will arouse a lot of curiosity.
The folks who built the STENSAT satellite and of course Bob at the USNA have
a "lot" of stuff out in the open...(the Stensat folks even have pictures of
their various meetings on their web site...)

I really dont know what "value" all the working documents would have past
that unless someone was trying to build a satellite and then it strikes me
that they could be "acquired".

I wish AMSAT good luck on teh bird (as a life member).  It strikes me that
there is a tough hill to climb in getting people to support this bird after
AO-40.  I realize that the cheering section here is pretty vocal but I was
wondering if any thought had been given to maybe doing some research of a
more quanitative nature about what the Amsat membership would "like to see"
in a AMSAT NA bird?

Maybe I just missed it in the crush of life but it seems that a poll printed
in the magazine or available "on line" to both members and non members might
have aided the board in their planning...although doubtless they have an
outstanding feel of what the membership wants.  That might have aided in
"openness".

Oh well just my thoughts.  I've enjoyed the birds since Oscar VI and am sure
that whatever comes next will be great.

robert oler wb5mzo