RE: ao-40 beacon swishing

Bruce Paige wrote:

at 0230z the 22nd of july, i was monitoring the beacon. i kept hearing people swish the beacon. one person was whistling, another was sending cw taps.

Wayne replies:

I also heard people calling CQ only 5 kHz away from the beacon.  With the large Doppler shift we are experiencing now, one could easily drift into the beacon if using manual Doppler tuning.  Also, people trying to answer the CQ may momentarily interfere with the beacon while trying to zero beat on the station calling CQ.

The recommended beacon "guard band" is +/- 20 kHz.  We have almost 300 kHz of usable transponder bandwidth.  There is no need to crowd the beacon.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA