Re: ao-40

From:           	"Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
To:             	<kk5do@arrl.net>, <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] ao-40
Date sent:      	Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:27:56 -0500

> Bruce,
>
>      This is a matter of some debate.  If I move my uplink I won't interfere
> with any one frequency very long, and I will eventually wind up on the open spot
> I am listening to.  If I keep my uplink on the same frequency I may hammer a QSO
> or the beacon for an extended period of time, or even worse I may never hear my
> self because I am under a stronger signal..  Which is better?

i am sorry, i have to disagree with you on this. you know where the beacon is.
it is somewhere around 2401.323. we know the pass band is 2401.225-
2401.475.

the uplink to the satellite is 435.55-435.80. so if you transmit at 435.55-
435.60 or 435.75-435.80 (the top and bottom of the band), you are
guaranteed to be away from the beacon.

now, if there is a qso going on at the extreme top or bottom of the band and
you are transmitting over them, they can move much easier than the beacon
can.

just my opinion but i think this is the cleanest way to find yourself. after all, if
you interfere with one qso, they know what you are doing. but when you swish
up and down the band, it is annoying to everyone. and... you are not the only
one doing it...take about 10-15 people swishing up and down and it is very
annoying.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                    Internet: kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas                                  kk5do@amsat.org
AMSAT Awards Manager                            kk5do@amsatnet.com
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE Satcom C3, T24, 7.5Mhz
Visit SHOT http://www.clarc.org/shot