From: "Dan James" <nn0dj@wiktel.com>
To: "'Amsat BB'" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 5:09 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] JUly 2001 President's Letter

> SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-200.01
> JULY 2001 PRESIDENT'S LETTER
>
> AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 200.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
> SILVER SPRING, MD, JULY 19, 2001
> TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
> BID: $ANS-200.01
>
> Greetings,
>
> It is with great pleasure that I write to you this month and talk about the
> progress being made with our next satellite project, currently known as
> "Project JJ".

- It is very nice to know that Amsat is again thinking / working on a new pro-
ject and that some very well known Amateurs are working together on it.
But.......

>Some of the decisions made at the meeting included:
>
> 1) Sideband uplinks on L and U bands with a S-band downlink;
> 2) Digital communications (TDMA) L-band uplink with S-band downlink;
> 3) V-band telemetry beacon;
> 4) Gain antennas for U, L, and S-bands;
> 5) Omni-directional antennas (for initial commands);
> 6) Propulsion system only if absolutely necessary. This is function of
> yet undetermined launch dynamics and may require some form of
> cold gas propulsion system for perigee adjustment. A decision on this will
> be made in the near future.

- After reading the above decisions, I am concluding that a huge part of world's
Ham population has been excluded from the possibility of operating this
new bird due to the high tech specifications and the cost involved, as well as
the removal of V/U capabilities.  TDMA looks very much like an elitist project.
Further, and for hams outside USA, the difficulties to get hardware at reasonable
prices, will drastically reduce participation. Unfortunately AO-40 has serious pro-
blems and we lost AO-10's replacement

> Now to the important question of finance.
>
> It is quite apparent that the days of inexpensive launches is over,
> especially if we want a good, reliable launch, which I'm sure, we all do.
> Therefore, it is imperative that we immediately commence a fund raising
> effort -for a launch (currently estimated) for early 2004. I encourage you
> to become a President's Club donor at either the $100/month (Gold) or
> $50/month (Silver) level. In addition, a meeting of the AMSAT-NA
> Development Committee will take place in mid-August with the main
> objective of determining the best way to raise the necessary funds and
> to coordinate the fundraising effort itself.

- Under this conditions, I and my fellow hams,do not consider at the present
moment to participate in funding as we did before on AO-40.