AO40 U-band uplink power

Joe Mayfield wrote:

It takes quite a bit more U band uplink than originally thought.  It takes more than AO-13 did, and more than AO-10 does when it is working.  I have more punch than I did on AO-13 and my uplink is marginal at best.  I had a solid uplink on AO-13.  We have to remember the bird is out further than intended.

Wayne replies:

Your observation doesn't match my experience.  With the AO40 U-band uplink, I am able to "meet LEILA" using about half the power that I typically used on AO13 to get a decent downlink.

Maybe something has recently gone bad in your UHF cable or antenna?

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA