Re: July 2001 President's Letter

John Wilcox" <ns1z@agate.net> wrote:

>(snip...)
>What is the estimated cost of the peripheral equipment
>that will be required to synchronize everyone's uplink
>signals? Is it expected to be able to use the shack PC
>for the necessary timing and, if so, what will be the
>master clock source?

The key is accurate timing. Why not use GPS? Many appli-
cations use GPS for distributed sub-microsecond timing.
So could we. We'd have to fiddle a bit to compensate for
transit-time delays, but that's not difficult.

>It sounds like a fun experiment but I wonder if the
>complicated equipment required and the idea of some
>other station controlling your equipment is
>going to fly with many satellite users???

*What* complicated equipment? How do you know it will
be complicated? Explain, please.

Hams have cooperated to share resources since the beginning
("QRL?" "Is this frequency in use?"). We've used TDMA
systems for years - nets wouldn't be possible otherwise.