RE: Uplink Power

>From: "Howard Long" <howard@howardlong.com>
**SNIP**

>I don't think it's anything other than the different patterns of the 70cm
>and 13cm antennas on the spacecraft combined with the satellite's
>off-pointing. When the sat is always pointing directly to us things will
>improve overall.
>
>I agree totally that there's a big dose of Political Correctness going about
>on the subject of uplink power. Yes it is possible to work this bird on very
>low power - in the right circumstances - with the satellite pointing
>straight at you, and a recieve setup which can hear the transponder noise
>floor. But I'm more interested about what's needed to communicate reliably
>the majority of the time using equipment which may be set up by the average
>Ham.

Yes, good observations...but do not forget that the farther away from the
equator you live the more squint you must tolerate when the satellite is
pointing earth-centric {momentum wheels operating}.  The satellite will
point at its sub-satellite point {+/- 5 degrees of equator} due to its low
orbital inclination.

At apogee this is a maximum squint of only ~10 degrees, but near perigee it
is much larger.

Ed
BTW has anyone noticed they have activated transponder mode V/S2?