Re: what a night

I'll provide more info later, but I had quite a bit of fun with my
calibrated attenuator and AO-40 last evening.

When the bird was at a range of 50K, I was still seeing a s/n of 25 dB on
the beacon! I had a very broad and several hour peak of approximately 30 dB
signal to noise from about 14K km out. Now I'm sure I'm receiving quite
well. I heard many ssb qsos and had no trouble copying them at all. I
started seriously listening about 6:30 p.m. and quit about 10:00 p.m. as
still had 25 dB or so S/N. Interestingly, when I was getting 30 dB S/N, the
prediction spreadsheet said about 27 dB, so that spreadsheet is doing the
job!

39" HyperLink Tech BBQ dish
1' LMR 400 to a UEK-3000 .7 dB NF/30 dB gain downconverter
135' RG8x
FT-847

Antenna is at 5' on a 4x4 with mast, armstrong pointing with a compass and
inclinometer.

Hmmmm...if I steal my coax from the HF vertical on that same pole, and mount
one of my K1FO 22el long yagis for 70cm on the same armstrong mast, I could
be using the transponder by this weekend.

73...hasan, N0AN