Question re dish turning / position tracking

Hi,

I am looking for pointers, links, etc regarding methods to turn and track
position for sat dishes.

More specifically I have a C-band dish of some size I am revamping to use for
various of the ham bands.

The only positioning mechanism WAS an actuator. The actuator is NOW intended
to be used for elevation control only - and I can handle that with a pulse
counter (to count pulses from it's cherry switch as the screw turns)/homebrew
controls, etc.

In it's new form I have a (moose of a) motor (currently geared at 35.9 RPM and
likely to reduce to 1/6 RPM (1 degree per second if my math's right) to turn
the dish.

What that motor DOES NOT have is any way to measure antenna position.
I could use (old) selsyn's and a PC-generated map o' the world, or maybe a
snazzier
and more modern rotary optical sensor and pulse counter, etc.

Obviously what I'm trying to do is a) use existing materials as much as
possible b) not break the bank with a large expensive rotor c) not resort to
"armstrong" positioning.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Lowell