Wow, good tm

All,

Just turned everything on this morning when i got up and copied 93 good CRC
tm blocks at 63 Km range. Got a few bad ones as I tuned around or played
with the pre-amp. Squint was around 30 and was getting 3 S units above
noise floor.

I observed something interesting. In my setup I have the Phillips-Tech
dish, the UEK-3000, a relay to switch between UEK-3000 and VHF antenna,
then the SP-2000 Vhf preamp, down into the shack to the FT-847.

I have been running with the SP-2000 turned on and the 10db attenuator in
the FT-847 on to bring the noise level back down. With that setting this
morning, I got bad CRC tm. But when I turned the SP-2000 off and turned off
the attenuator, I could copy good CRC tm. HI.  Too much gain, I guess.
Better Signal to Noise at lower signal levels?

I am encouraged. There is still room for improvement at the antenna (helix
and downconverter behind the helix reflector). Have almost 0.6db loss ahead
of downconverter right now

Just wait for the transponders to be turned on. I go on a trip Sunday so
hope it is before then.

Jerry, W6IHG