AO-40 update

Dear Folks,

AO-40 is currently at approximately ALON/ALAT 311/5, accounting for the
much improved telemetry signals on the first portion of the orbit.  We are
torquing to approximately 320/0, at which point the solar angle will be
close to 45 degs, and the solar sensor may stop triggering, thereby
stopping the magnetorque.  If this does occur, it is a benign condition
because the sun is moving away from us at almost 1 deg/day and very quickly
the solar angle will be re-established.  We are chasing the sun rather than
the other way around.

However, we will have to wait until the end of August to be able to move
all the way back to 0/0.   As soon as we can, we will move part of the way,
say to 340/0.   In the mean time, when we reach ~320/0 in three more
orbits, we will stop magnetorquing and take pictures to verify our
position.  By not magnetorquing for a few weeks, we can re-calculate the
value of the "mystery effect" once we have an accurate "fix."   As soon as
the pictures are downloaded we will activate the transponders for the first
half of the orbit.  We HOPE to have these back on before next weekend.

Remember that there are still a number of items to check out.  In
particular, we may have some days of limited or no transponder activity,
and even no beacon activity, while the RUDAK team uploads software and
checks out some of the RUDAK functions.   These events will be announced.

Aux. Battery
I have seen a few messages about the voltage of the aux. battery.  This is
a Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery.  We took it off of trickle charge
quite a while ago when the temperatures were high, and we have not placed
it back on charge.  These cells are quite happy fully discharged and we
believe that the battery will last longer if we do not keep it on trickle
charge.  As we have no immediate need for it, we have left it uncharged for
now to prolong its life.

Best wishes.