Re: AO-40

> has anyone heard the beacon
> on AO-40?

Yes, we heard it very nice last night in the Southeast USA.

I caught the bird at 28 degrees elevation when it was at 20,000 km
down range around MA19.  I was able to copy over 548 good CRC
frames by manually tuning from time to time as it got out to 50,000 km.
That was the point where the CRC's started to fail and at 51,000 km they
were all bad at that point.

I am using a TranSystem AIDC-3733 mounted on a 3' bar-b-cue
parabola type antenna with the following mods:

1. Stub filter unsoldered
2. Murata DFC22R44P084BHD mounted on one of Bob's (K5GNA)
    circuit boards.
3. Crystal changed for 2400 MHZ at 144 MHz

On my FT-847 I get a little under 1 s-unit of noise or about 2 segments
lit with the second segment flickering at times.  The signal last night
from AO-40 was around S6 solid when I first tuned to it at MA19 at
21,000 km down range.  When the signal got down to S3, that is
when I started losing the good CRC frames.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama