AO-40 Beacon

At 11:25 CST the beacon is S8 with an S2 noise floor here
in Texas. Best signal ever. Range  26 km and squint here 18 deg
at 11:00 PM. Sure makes a difference when the squint is small!

Disappointed that my new toy (IC-PCR1000) computer receiver
doesn't have enough gain on CW or SSB to hear it. Just hooked
it up a couple of hours ago and can't hear any noise on
145 Mhz with the receiver on SSB even with two pre-amps!

Works fine on AM and FM. Guess it is a bad one. I hope the
dealer will take it back. It was going to be the receive
side of the sat station, but not now. The FT736 works fine,
but I don't like to use it for fear of blowing the converter
by accidentally transmitting.

This is my typical luck with any store bought equip.
Surprised the downconverter worked.

Ken  K5MBV  Garland, TX