Re: more AO40 status

Wayne,

>From what I have understood, the U band TX has never been tested on the high
gain antennas.  The V band TX was tested briefly on the high gains, but
squint angles weren't good.

My impression has always been that they were going to wait until the bird
was either 3 axis stabilized and pointing good toward earth or until it was
spin stabilized with a very good squint angle toward earth.

I would guess that what you saw is mistaken unless the control team has done
tests that have not been publicized or that we missed them publicizing it
some how.  I doubt the control team wouldn't publish it and I can't believe
everyone missing a publication!

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 7/12/01 4:23 PM, Estes Wayne-W10191 at W10191@motorola.com wrote:

> Another interesting item in the AO40 status summary is the U and V
> transmitter status.
>
> Not surprisingly, the U transmitter status is "failed" because it was never
> heard after launch.
>
> But the V transmitter status is "more tests to do".  That's interesting
> because I thought it had already been tested unsuccessfully with the
> high-gain antenna.
>
> The obvious question is, what additional V-band transmitter tests remain
> before the transmitter is conclusively judged to be "failed" (or recovered
> if we are very lucky).

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA