Re: Remarkable

On Friday 13 July 2001 04:25, WALTER G OBENHOFER wrote:

> Who cares what notes are on your plane...

Walter, my original joking reference to the placards on my airplane was
part of a discussion about rules and procedures for preflighting AMSAT
satellites...and my response to Mr. Oler was still on that topic.

Placards are a common method of reminding aircrew and groudcrew of
important rules and procedures for the operation of their
equipment--such as the familiar "Remove Before Flight" notices that
appear on pitot covers and landing gear lockdown pins, which also
appeared on the safing plugs and solar panel covers of the P3D craft
before launch.

Note that the current best theory on the failure of the P3D 400N
bipropellant motor involves a failure to remove a safety cap from a
fuel valve vent.

The engineering issues of aviation have deep application to
astronautics as well.

73 de Maggie K3XS
 AMSAT 32844 - AMSAT Area Coordinator

PS: The AMSAT-DL website probably has such good AO-40 status
information because they have the overall basic design and program
direction responsibility for the P3D effort.  See

 http://www.amsat-dl.org/internat.gif

for a world map showing the breakdown of the program systems
responsibilities by country.