intermod and quarter wave stub

All,

Got a big clue this morning.  I put up a quick 3/4 wave stub using piece of
Belden 8214 I happened to have sitting on shelf with N connector already on
it (left over from old oscar antenna). Cut it long and at the 3/4
wavelength figuring I could always shorten it to 1/4 wave later..

Test was very successful.  I found the worse spur I could (at low end of
UHF range - 435.4 with doppler) which was at S9 on this strange FT-847 S
meter. Put the stub on a Tee right at the UEK-3000 input. Dropped the spur
level to S 4. Most of the others were not detectable using cw but it
cleared up almost all the passband. With LSB on uplink, I could certainly
work thru it - no worse than V/U intermod on AO-10. I had to crank the
power up to 50 watts to find some of the spurs. The Spreadsheet says I
should be under 15 watts even at apogee.

So I guess the fundamental is the culprit.

Now what does a 1/4 wave stub (at antenna side of downconverter) do to
noise temperature?.  Is this a solution that I want to fine tune or do I
need to think in terms of a Notch Filter?

If the stub is viable, what do I need to tune it properly?  Will listen to
my signal generator in the sky, UO-11 for a few passes this afternoon to
make sure I can still hear.

Jerry, W6IHG