Re: Intermod

There are two possible sources of interference -- the 5th or 6th harmonic of
the 70 cm transmitter getting into the S-band downconverter or the
downconverter being overloaded by the 435 MHz signal because of inadequate
selectivity in the RF stages in the converter.

Transmitter harmonics can be attenuated with a low-pass filter. The 70 cm/23
cm diplxer units available from HRO and AES have a 70 cm low pass filter so
you could attach one of those at the transmitter output.

If the problem is fundamental overload then a filter could be inserted at
the input to the converter or LNA to attenuate the transmitter fundamental
frequency. This could be either a bandpass or highpass filter for 2400 MHz
or a notch filter tuned to 436 MHz. The ARRL UHF/VHF Projects manual has
construction information for a 2304 MHz bandpass filter. If the center
conductor is shortened to 0.82" it should work well at 2400 MHz.

The type of receiving antenna feed used will also affect pickup of 435 and
1270 MHz from the transmitter. A waveguide feed would be ideal as it
naturally acts as a high-pass filter and has very low loss at the design
frequency. A short helix with a cup may also have this property to some
extent.

Your problem could be transmitter harmonics. The fifth harmonic would fall
on the image frquency when using a 144 MHz IF and could cause IMD in the
2-meter receiver. Try a low pass filter on the transmitter first. It has the
least effect on received signal level.

73,

John
KD6OZH