Intermod

All,

Today I put the UEK-3000 on the back of the elevation rotor and moved the
dish way over on the VHF side (almost to the elements). Increased the
spacing from 44 inches to 89 inches. It did reduce the interference some
but not much. Then I ran a test with the UHF transmitter feeding a little 3
element yagi fixed on the horizon towards our local UHF repeater. This yagi
is about 20 feef below the oscar setup. Still had intermod. So even big
separation does not help. ?????

Second set of tests was to step up the UHF band in 1 meg increments. Steps
430.5 to 434.5, 436.5 to 441.5, and 443.5 to 449.5 gave no interference.
But steps 435.5 Mhz and 442.5 Mhz gave interference. Of course right in the
satellite area.

Third test was to get some finer grain detail.  So I checked across the
AO-40 passband.  Between 435.495 and 435.55 and from 435.625 to 435.700 I
get interference.  But there are two strips from 435.55 to 435.625 and from
435.700 to 435.800 that have no interference. The S band frequency was
being tuned automatically as if I were using the transponder

The interference looks like a set of spurs (looking with ao40rcv) about
1200 to 1500 hz apart (I can see several in the passband) when keying cw.

I pulled the cover off the UEK-3000 and see that the chassis is soldered
shut. So I don't know what room is available for a notch filter.

I did also just run the FT-847 into dummy load just to make sure. When I
turn off the power to the downconverter, the interference goes away. And
when I turn the power back on, the interference drifts for a few seconds as
the LO stabilizes.

At least there is a segment where voice could be operated and at the low
end cw. The main group of spurs is around the beacon frequency anyway where
I don't want to transmit.

And here I was going to play today building some helix prototypes. HI

Any thoughts.

Jerry, W6IHG