From: Dquagliana@aol.com [mailto:Dquagliana@aol.com]
Sent: 11 July 2001 11:41
To: Chris.Grohmann@globecastne.com; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Cc: clivew@zetnet.co.uk
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] UO-11 "S" band beacon

Hi Chris (and the BB),

In a message dated 01-07-10 14:00:22 EDT,
Chris.Grohmann@GlobeCastNE.com writes:

> I copied UO-11 "S" band beacon last Sunday
>8 July at AOS 14:19GMT - orbit 92920.
>  It again had modulation

Wow! Very interesting!  I've always heard that the S band beacon
was just transmitting an unmodulated carrier.

Is this modulation FSK just like the 2 meter modulation or is it
PSK ?

What are you using to demodulate the S band beacon?

> and although the signal was reasonably strong there
>  were still lots of bad characters.
>  I managed to decode the following:
>  ---------
>  @@ Auto Mode is seluk|er
>   sxin Period:`532`@
>  !Z Oqg firings:  102<
>   +!SPIN!~irings: 22
>   - sPIN firings:!@242
>  ** USaT-OSCAR11 @OBC **
>  Eiary Operatyng System1V3.7

Yes.  That is UO-11 telemetry in there.

Do you have or can you make a recording of
the audio as a .WAV file ?  I'd be very interested
in getting a recording of the S-band beacon and
its modulation.

>  The Saturday afternoon passes I heard had all been very low signal level.

>  I wonder if anyone else is receiving telemetry?

I'll try to get set up soon.   I wonder if the telemetry
is only turned on at certain times?

Douglas KA2UPW
dquagliana@aol.com

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this