Re: UO-11 "S" band beacon

The message <96.16c7b20d.287ca524@aol.com
  from  K5OE@aol.com contains these words:

> That is pretty interesting.  Has anyone inquired at UoS about this?
> Is it local > only when over the command station perhaps?

I have informed ground control about this.  The modulation has also been
heard by VK5HI.  There is no evidence of any ground control activity at
the present time.

> I have listened to UO-11's S-band beacon regularly for the last 2
> months on the > weekend mid-day passes and have never heard any
> modulation.  This past Saturday > and Sunday the signals were very
> strong, peaking about 6 S-units above the noise.

Are the signals consistently strong, or are there just occassional
periods of strong signals?  I have been wondering whether the fault
which caused the beacon to reduce power output some years ago, is now
intermittent.

AFAIK the modulation level is very low, and I suspect that it may be
accidental.  It wouldn't take much stray coupling to generate a bit of
FM at S-band.  Have you tried listening in FM mode, when the signals are
strong?

73

	 Clive    G3CWV

         Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.