Re: ArcJet Updates Etc

At 09:09 PM 10-07-01 -0500, you wrote:
>First, I understand (rightly or wrongly) that there is no such thing
>as "AMSAT".  Rather, there are a number of autonomous country-based
>organizations (e.g., AMSAT-NA, AMSAT-DL, etc.) that are united [only] by
>a common name and [hopefully] a common mission.  If my understanding isn't
>correct, I would love to be enlightened.

OK.

AMSAT is a registered trademark of the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation
chartered in Washington, DC, USA.  Sometimes, we go by AMSAT-NA.

Similar amateur satellite societies exist in other countries.

>Second, it is not clear to me that AMSAT-NA actually "runs" any projects.

Yes, we do.  Suggest reviewing the AMSAT Journal, our web site, the IARU
web site, attending the annual symposium, and, especially, a meeting of the
Board of Directors (or read the minutes).

>Rather it supports projects through a variety of means.  One of these means
>is funding.

Sometimes we do that.  But, as Tom Clark enjoys pointing out, AMSAT is an
equal opportunity exploiter.  We are an organization of volunteers who
pitch in and do a great deal of very good work, often in cooperation with
our colleagues who are members of other amateur satellite societies.

>Others might include [or potentially include, I forget]
>assistance with amateur satellite frequency allocations.  As such,
>AMSAT-NA has only a limited ability to specify or impose detailed
>regulations.

We often help interested licensees work through the regulatory
process.  However, AMSAT has no regulatory authority.  As with most things
in amateur radio, the "gentlemen's agreement" is the mechanism for
frequency coordination conducted through the good offices of the IARU.

Before going on to your other points, please check out the resources
mentioned here.  You are likely to find the information you seek there.

Hope this helps.

73, art.....