Re: Squawks about the ATOS

>From: Margaret Leber <maggie@voicenet.com>
>Obvioulsy something went wrong. At a quick glance it does sound
>suspicuously like the same kind of "opened a valve and then couldn't
>get it closed" type of failure mode as occurred with the bipropellant
>motor.
>
>However, let's remeber that it took quite a while for intensive
>telemetry analysis to produce a best-guess answer as to exactly what
>had happened to the bipropellant motor.
>
>Once the bird is 3-axis stable and the wings are deployed, we'll have
>*years* to armchair quarterback what happened to the ATOS. (Our non-US
>friends may understand the "armchair quarterback" idiom better as
>"back-seat driver". :-)) Until then I think the control team's
>attention is probably better spent on flying the bird.

Uhuh.  Well we've had a pretty shaky track record so far...sooo who says
the wheels will work or the panels will unfold?  I would worry that
activating them may cause further problems.  I wonder how much the system
status reveals about any mechanical damage that may have transpired during
the 400N event(s).

Yes, I know that I am armchair speculating here.  But I fix electronics for
a living...30 years worth...and my intuition tells me to be careful.  I do
not envy the control team, or the designers.  If all goes well...they're
heros...if activating the wheels/panels causes further failure...well?

A question they must be asking is whether there is a point at which doing
nothing more makes more sense, if the satellite is currently in long-term
stable status.

I am not being unsupportive...just honest.

Ed
fingers & toes crossed; knocking on wood; throwing salt over my left
shoulder...think that will help?