RE: Optical COmms experiment

PCsat will carry 80 stock LEDs (3 Watts input power) on its -Z face which
we may turn on occassionally both as a radiative cooling experiment and
just for fun to see if we can see it.  Previous discussion here resulted
in estimates of a visual magnitude by Lee and/or K0VTY of about 8
(binoculars).

But those calculations assumed a non-focused beam (or 3 dB).  Now that we
have built it, these LEDS actually have a cone of about 40 degrees or a
"transmit antenna gain" of say 13 dB? or 10 dB greater than originally
assumed, thus raising the possibility to a magnitude of 5.5 just possibly
visible to the naked eye.  The spot will be about 300 miles across..(if it
hits straight down)

We are in the midst of a million other things, so we have not done any
rigorous evaluation of this experiment yet.  If anyone wants to take a
crack at it, they are welcome to contribute! There is nothing special
about these LED's.  We just had a bag of em and decided to do something
with them.  SO assume standard LEDs (whatever that means)...

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html
CUBESAT Designs     http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/cubesat.html
APRS LIVE pages     http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html