Re: HALF-Happy Satellite Camper

Campers and Travelers need help.  We need some permanent stations
monitoring the UO22 downlink for UI digipeated HT messages.  See this:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Al  mail from MindSpring wrote:

> I guess I am a happy camper! I set the D7 HT (barefoot with a dual band
> mag-mount on the roof of the van) up for UO-22 on a pass this
> evening.... I did decode [packets]... I just had to share my first
> digital contact with a satellite.! ...
> I just wanted to hit the bird, and have that data come back down to the
> internet (APRS.NET and findu.com). Since we are driving (and ferrying)
> up the west coast of Canada..., and then through Alaska, the main
> purpose for all of this is so my friends and family can follow us [via
> Satellite and APRS]...

> Questions:
> If there had been another station transmitting, would I have seen his
> packets? (like from a "normal" digi)

YES!

> Which is the best satellite to uplink to in order to accomplish my above
> stated goal?

UO22 is easy to get into with an HT, because the uplink is not busy... BUT
we have NO permanent downlink stations IGating the downlink into APRS.NET
ISS has everyone listening and permanent IGates, but it is near impossible
to get through the uplink congestion...

Thus, We need more APRS stations monitoring the UO-22 downlink to serve
wilderness travelers like you...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html