Re: Spin

Hi Mike,

Mike West wrote:

> AO-40 was at ALON/ALAT  274/-2 and it was moved to 261/-3 and now it's on
> the way to 290/-3   WHY ?  I'm sure if the orbit is now 850 plus klicks up
> at perigee, no "mysterious force" should be working on the SC....So why the
> back and forth  swing with the satellite ?...  After all it was just a 90
> deg turn before.

There is no "back and forth".. It's just orbital mechanics...

The change in ALON is due to normal orbit plane precession (and the
mystery force).

ALON *was* 270 in orbit #300 and was 264 in orbit #307

There is some slight evidence that the mystery force has reduced
since orbit 303. But we only have limited data at the moment.

While we are assuming "zero atmospheric drag" with the new perigee
height, there are other possibilities like magnetic interaction
with currents flowing in the solar panel wiring etc (obviously
something which need to be synchronized with spin).

73s Peter DB2OS