Re: Feeding DC to the DEM Pre-Amp

On Friday 06 July 2001 11:52, G0MRF@aol.com wrote in "[amsat-bb]
Feeding DC to the DEM Pre-Amp":

> I've just finished building the 13ULNA kit from Down East Microwave
> and then tried to figure out how best to power it.
>
> The PCB has a quarter wave RF choke printed on the board at the
> output which allows DC to be fed down the Coax.
>
> I've fed DC to the pre-amp from a Drake converter using a couple of
> surface mount components for a simple bias tee. It's not fully tested
> yet but, an initial test listening to an ideal pass of UO-11 with a
> helix was OK.
>
> www.g0mrf.freeserve.co.uk/drake.htm

David?

This looks really cool, and as soon as I have some income (still job
searching here) I intend to improve my S-band recieve, including a
pre-amp.

But just to clarify: the last photo shows the Drake with the cover off,
with the red wire that brings the 10v forward to the new components and
the N connector. We also see the log periodic antenna attached directly
to the N connector.

What we *don't* see is the pre-amp. I'm assuming the photo is just to
show the wire routing? Obviously there's no problem in having DC
present at the antenna. But I'm guessing the photo isn't intended to
show the pre-amp in operation, and that may confuse folks a bit; you
may want to mention it on the web page.

But the technique itself is awesome....

73 de Maggie K3XS