Not quite satellites

Hi All, I'm hoping someone has a circuit & info to construct
an Infra-Red controller extender.
Simply what I want to do is have my Satellite TV system in one
room and be able to take my IR controller to another and work
the unit. Probably need IR to cable to IR.
I'm sure someone has done this, seen this or knows of a web site.
Much easier than my fossicking around trying to get something going.

I can buy something for $300 but that's not the right spirit.

(For the non-VK/ZLs, Fossicking = Rummaging = Searching - but is a
much more colourful expression.)

Terry, ZL3QL.