Ranging question (was PSK tone interesting on AO-40)

Interesting!  Just what exactly is "Ranging", and what is going on
with the waterfall?  I had assumed that Ranging was some sort of
Radar thing, combined with observations of AOS, LOS, AZ, and EL,
but I guess the satellite plays a more active role...

Just curious,

Greg  KO6TH