Re: Solar measurements, and 3dB between CP and Linear???

Charlie,

Well you give me pause to think.  If we assume the sun is randomly
polarized {in other words equal intensity at all polarizations} I guess it
would not matter what polarization one chose.  And of course Faraday will
have no effect.  If on the other hand there is a component of linear or
circular polarization present in the radiation it would matter.  Likewise,
if the radiation were to pass thru media that imparts polarization to the
energy.

I guess its my difficulty shifting from thinking in terms of coherent
radiation to random noise.  I would sure like to get an opinion from a
radio astronomer...or a better explanation for myself.

But I guess it doesn't matter.  I stand corrected.

Ed
PS: I later read the reply from Tom Clark who agrees with you and
definitely qualifies as a radio astronomer!