Re: Why GPS Satellite Visibility?

If you need a precise 1-PPS reference clock to synchronize the iDEN
equpiment, perhaps you shoudl consider using GPS to discipline a
clock with good short-term stability?  You'd essentially "free-run"
during the times where GPS isn't available.  I guess that this wouldn't
happen for very long periods, and you could use an ovenized oscillator
to achieve adequate stability.

Alternatively, many GPS receivers used for timing have the ability to
offset the 1-PPS output to compensate for cable length issues.  I know
that some of the Motorola receivers have explicit configuration
commands to specify feedline length to the GPS antenna.

louie
wa3ymh