Re: Field Day weather/results

> Susan had the correct class for her station, though.  She said "1A Battery", but
> I don't think "A" is correct for battery power.  And I know her ARRL section
> isn't "battery".  I wonder if there is an ARRL section for "space"?

the arrl was asked what she should be using and that is what they told her to
use.  1a-battery is a valid designator for class, you can find it in the rules. she
did not give out a section. as she counts towards the satellite qso, most
people that worked her got the 100 points. i don't think there were many
dupes. below is the class a requirements as the arrl has listed them. there
are 3 licensed hams aboard the iss so the club designator can be used.
73...bruce

4.1. (Class A) Club/non-club portable: Club groups (or a non-club group with
three or more licensed amateurs) set up specifically for Field Day. Such
stations must be located in places that are not regular station locations and
must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any
structure installed permanently for Field Day use. Stations must operate
under one call sign (except if a dedicated Novice/Technician HF station is
allowed, it must be operated under a call sign as provided later in these
rules), and under the control of a single licensee or trustee for the entry. All
equipment (including antennas) must lie within a circle whose diameter does
not exceed 300 meters (1000 feet). All contacts must be made with
transmitter(s) and receiver(s)
operating independent of commercial power mains. Entrants whom for any reason operate a
transmitter or receiver from a commercial main for one or more contacts will be listed
separately.
     4.1.1. Any Class A group whose entry classification is two or more transmitters may
     also operate one dedicated Novice/Technician (with HF privileges) operating position
     without changing its basic entry category. This station must be operated under a call sign
     issued to a Novice/Technician Plus operator and may only make contacts within the
     Novice/Technician HF subbands. It must abide by Novice/Technician power and mode
     restrictions. This station may only be operated by Novice/Technician licensees. For
     Field Day purposes only, any Canadian Amateur HF licensee who has been licensed for
     six months or less prior to Field Day, shall be considered a "Novice/Technician (HF)" to
     provide a means for Canadian Field Day Class A stations to employ this rule. This
     station does not qualify for a 100-point bonus as an additional transmitter.
     4.1.2. Any Class A group whose entry category is two or more transmitters may also
     operate one additional transmitter if it operates exclusively on any bands or combination
     of bands above 50 MHz (VHF/UHF) without changing its basic entry classification.
     This station does not qualify for a 100-point bonus as an additional transmitter. This
     station may be operated for the entire Field Day period for the club and all contacts
     count for QSO credit.
4.2. (Class A-Battery) Club/non-club portable: Club groups (or non-club groups with three
or more licensed amateurs) set up specifically for Field Day, all contacts must be made using an
output power of 5 W or less and the power source must be something other than commercial
power mains or motor-driven generator (eg: batteries, solar cells, water-driven generator).
Other provisions are the same for regular Class A.

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                    Internet: kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas                                  kk5do@amsat.org
AMSAT Awards Manager                            kk5do@amsatnet.com
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE Satcom C3, T24, 7.5Mhz
Visit SHOT http://www.clarc.org/shot